Monday, September 19, 2011

It Is Great To Be Eight(y)


This weekend, I had the joy of celebrating my Maw-Maw's 80th Birthday. Yes, earlier this year my other grandmother turned 100. You can read about it here. And yes (all you mathematicians), my grandmothers are twenty years apart. Strange? Yes. Amazing? Yes. I am one lucky lady.

Before I begin my montage of pictures, I have to give you a little info on Maw-Maw. Growing up, I lived in the same house from birth until I went to college. Just around the corner lived Maw-Maw and Paw-Paw. So yes they were my grandparents, but they were so much more too.

They were who I saw everyday when I got off the school bus. Their home greeted me with oatmeal cookies and sweat tea (a nutritionist's dream.) It is where I learned how to feed a cow, and later on, catch catfish. (You guessed it- we lived in the country.) They once kept a stray dog for us, because my parents wouldn't allow one. And Maw-Maw taught me about style and fashion- always letting me dress up in her jewelry and shoes. Their home gave me some of my favorite childhood memories.


We took over twenty family shots. This was the best one. Typical.
Where is my Paw-Paw? Oh, in Heaven looking down on us :) He was informing us that this was going to never work, and we should probably be watching football.


I get it. I'm bossy.

Hubs and Me.

Maw-Maw and her great-grandkids. My nephew and niece were being very sociable.


Birthday Wishing Tree


All the tables had facts about 1931. I come from a creative family. I did not inherit the gene.


Love this picture. It was taken during my softball days. Don't I look athletic? (Those days did not last long.) Even though I was much better at picking weeds in the outfield than catching a ball, those two came to watch me "play."


Taken at my parents' wedding. People should still wear "wedding gloves."


Apparently, the whole community came. As you can see in the above picture, I met myself in 50 years. Leopard wheelchair bag and all.


Sister and I find it very fun to take pictures of each other.


Leigh Ann (Sister-In-Law), Me, and Emma (Sister)
(Note: We didn't mean to wear Auburn colors. Don't worry, it didn't bring them any luck)


Maw-Maw and her friends raging.


I promised my mom that I wouldn't take just a bunch of pictures of my nieces and nephew.
I lied.


Maw-Maw, I hope you had the best birthday ever. I am so lucky to have you as my grandmother. Thank you for the countless dance recitals, softball/ weed picking games, football games (to watch me cheer, not play in), award ceremonies, and graduations you came to. I love you more than I could ever tell you.

1 comment:

  1. Love your outfit! You look great in orange. You're so lucky to have family close. Thanks for sharing such a fun party for such a special woman. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...