Monday, July 30, 2012

Woody's Birth Story

Baby Woody turned two weeks old on Saturday so I decided to finally write his birth story. Those days are so special, and I don't want to forget them. It is going to be long, but these are precious memories for me. Feel free to just skip to the pictures.

Friday 7/13
- 1:00 pm I had my 39 week doctor's appointment. I wasn't dilated much, if even at all. We went ahead and made another doctor's appointment for the next Friday (7/20), and if I hadn't gone into labor by then, my midwife wanted to induce me on the following Monday (7/23.)
- 4:30 pm I went home and took a nap. Brooks called, and I told him that my manicure was coming off, so I was going to run across the street and get a new one at 5:00.
- 4:45 pm I felt something...strange. I jumped off the couch and my water broke... on top of my Jack Russell, Lucy (sorry pup.) It was the strangest feeling. I didn't think I was having contractions, but it was a lot. I thought your water broke and that was it. Wrong- when it broke, it didn't stop. I called Brooks and all I remember saying was, "Water definitely broke, come home now." I proceeded to call my mom (who almost didn't answer) and Brooks's mom. I didn't know what to do, so I just stayed in the upstairs bathroom, trying to pack those last minute, important things (i.e: curling iron.)
- 5:05 pm Brooks came home and was a NERVOUS WRECK! We had to have a (very quick) conversation about remaining calm and not stressing me out. He instead broke out the video camera to document the occasion. Cue an unhappy Lindsey.
- 5:15 pm We thought we were safe because we live three miles from the hospital. What we didn't count on was my water breaking on a Friday in rush hour traffic. Brooks decided to take some "shortcuts" (i.e.: driving over curbs) and rolling down the window to yell, "Please let me over! My wife is pregnant!" (I didn't have the heart to tell him that I had actually been pregnant for a while, now I was in labor.)

-5:45 pm We make it to the hospital! Hooray! I had already preregistered, but had to wait for a nurse to come get me. Did I mention that when your water breaks, it is not an instant and over thing? I (politely) asked for a towel as multiple families stared. Fantastic.
- I am unsure of the time, but I got in a room and was hooked up to the monitors. Turns out, I was having contractions! And they were two minutes apart! I couldn't help but think, "I am woman, hear me roar! These aren't bad at all!"
- Five minutes later... OMG! These things hurt, HEEEEEEEELP! My midwife kept telling me to practice relaxed breathing. Why did Husband and I skip that birthing class!?! She was amazing though, and we began to discuss pain relief options.
- I don't know what they gave me first, other than it was through an IV, and it was incredible. I still felt the contractions, but they weren't awful. I felt like I had been hit with a train, but in a great way. My contractions were still two minutes apart and getting stronger!!
- 8:00 pm (ish...I think) Epidural time!!! So excited. I knew I wanted to get an epidural drip from the moment I got pregnant. However, that is when things began to turn. I watched my contractions get further and further apart :( They decided to give my Pitocin to try to speed things up.
- I felt good, even though labor slowed down, both sets of grandparents show up, and I went to sleep.

Saturday 7/14
- 4:00 am- I wake up in the worst pain ever. I knew something wasn't right, because everyone talked about being able to do their hair, make-up, have conversations with an epidural. I, on the other hand, am trying to mimic any Lamaze breathing I had ever seen on television. Buzz the nurse right away... crying like a baby.  My midwife comes in, and I am 5 cm. However, I am feeling everything. They administer a local anesthetic.
- 4:05 am- I throw up everywhere.
- 4:50 am- Throw up some more... it lands in my hair. So much for those beautiful, after delivery pictures.
- 5:00 am- My midwife wants the anesthesiologist to re administer my epidural. He orders another local anesthetic. I continue to throw up, feel everything, and think I am dying. My midwife checks me again, and I am 6 cm.
- Little before 7:00 am- Hallelujah! I get another epidural! Works like a charm, and I am out like a light! Bad news, still 6 cm....hmmm....Oh, and it is a shift change, and I have to say goodbye to a very sweet and patient nurse.
- 9:00 am- I am woken up by another midwife...the same one I saw at my appointment on Friday! I am still 6 cm, and because my water had broken the day before, there was a risk of infection. I knew a c-section was the best option for Jammer.
- 10:15 am- They wheel me back to the OR. I am about to find out if Jammer is a boy or a girl. Oddly enough, I wasn't scared. My sister had a c-section and had explained what would happen. I was relieved when Brooks came in. He sat, held my hand, and told me how proud he was of me.
- 10:36 am- Heard the sweetest sound ever. Brooks tells me, "It's a boy!" I cry uncontrollably. It was the best feeling in the world. Woodfin James was here.

"What. Just. Happened?"

First Family Photo

Keeping his manly parts covered

Bath Time

Saturday was a bit of rough day. Little Woody was breathing too quickly, so he had to spend the day in the NICU. Brooks was able to stay with him, and I finally got to see him (briefly) Saturday night. It was such a scary day, but I am so grateful that it was just a temporary, small set-back. I cannot imagine what it must be like for parents who have to watch their babies in the NICU for days/weeks/months.

By Sunday, everything was fine! Woody was breathing better and spent the day with us. In fact, we spent the next three days together in RM 590. It was some of the happiest times I have ever experienced. Woody got the whole breast feeding thing down by Sunday night (mainly due to an amazing lactation specialist and "Nurse Donna") and has been gaining weight. In fact, by the time we left the hospital (on Wednesday, July 18th), Woody weighed 8lbs 1oz! (Proud mom has to brag.)

First family photo with clean hair

Woody with Aunt Emma and Cousin Jake

Our view- plus side of a C-section? They give you a bigger room with more windows due to your extended stay

I am so happy he is home. I have fallen deeply in love with him and cannot imagine life without my little man.


  1. One of my favorite parts... Brooks trying frantically to get you to the hospital. I can just picture it!
    Woody is just precious... Can't wait to see that sweet boy again!

  2. Thanks for sharing! I was wondering how the whole thing went down. Congrats again!

    Love you and your sweet men!

  3. What beautiful pictures of you and your family! I especially love your robe, and the picture of you and Woody in bed. :)


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...