Basic 1: Crisp White Shirt
• Rule 1: Get it tailored. It can make you look boxy if you don’t.
• Rule 2: Go with cotton, and machine washable (you will wear it too much to take it to the dry cleaners)
• Rule 3: Wear with (almost) anything. Looks great untucked with pants or tucked-in with a pencil skirt.
• Rule 1: Don’t buy pants just because they are on sale. Buy them because you look great in them.
• Rule 2: Get them tailored/hemmed. Children WILL step on them if they are too long.
• Rule 3: Start out with a simple color, like khaki or black. If you find yourself wearing them over and over, venture out to more colors.
Basic 3: Simple Ballet Flats
• Rule 1: Quality.Leather. I have had my favorites since 2008, wear them at least once a week and are holding strong.
• Rule 2: K.I.S.S.- Keep It Simple Stupid (thanks Dwight Schrute.) Remember, you will probably be wearing these every week with different outfits.
• Rule 3: Once you buy them, let them air out. You should not wear them everyday...they will stink. To keep odor at a minimum, when you put them away, stick a dryer sheet in them.
I'm loving (and have for many years...)
• Rule 1: Be careful if you are petite! Always have the sleeves hemmed so they do not go past your hands.
• Rule 2: When trying it on, move your arms around in the dressing room. Some blazers are very restricting and uncomfortable to wear all day.
• Rule 3: Pick a fabric that breathes
• Rule 1: Stay away from cheap fabrics that cling. It will look very inappropriate at school.
• Rule 2: The hem should touch the top of your knee.
• Rule 3: Wear it with tucked-in blouses or belted sweaters. It will create a nice silhouette.