Saturday, March 15, 2014

Gaines Alton Harvard

His birthday might have been a little more planned than his brother's, but none less special! This is going to be long, but I love reading Woody's birth story because it helps me remember the blur of events. So Gaines gets a long drawn out post too.

The plan all along had been to have a C-Section. After having to have one with Woody, most doctors won't try a VBAC if it is within two years. And if I am being honest, this was just fine with me. Of course, Gaines was SO low, that I just knew he wouldn't make it to March 7th (neither did anybody else.)

But he did. I worked on March 6th too. And I am pretty proud of myself. (In case you are wondering- I realized I was pregnant two weeks before school started. So I started school during my first trimester and worked the whole way through.)

My mom came on the 4th to stay with us and help out with Woody. The night on March 6th, Brooks and I enjoyed a dinner at Zoe's. I originally had planned a food crawl, but then thought my stomach might not do well during surgery if it had fish tacos and fried pickles the night before. Then I decided I need to go to Home Goods and Target. (I think I was beginning to freak out that I would never leave the house again.) 

After a good night's sleep, we were off to the hospital for our 9:15 check-in-time. We checked in and waited for a nurse to get us.

She took us the the pre-op room. I got hooked up to an IV and around 10:30, the anesthesiologist came in to get the ball rolling. Not only did I have the world's nicest anesthesiologist, but his team of three other people were the sweetest too. After a few minutes they did the little test to see how numb I was, but I could still feel the poke at the top of my stomach. They kept giving me more and more medicine through my IV, but I stayed at a "T-8." (I have no idea what that means, but I remember they kept saying that.) I was beginning to worry about all the doses of medicine they were giving me, but finally I passed the poke test.

And by the time I got to the OR, I was so numb I couldn't wiggle my toes. It. was. awesome. I felt nothing. No pressure, no pulling. Nothing. I was busy having small talk with Brooks when I heard a baby cry. I thought it was odd that I could hear a baby in another OR, but the next thing I knew, the doctor was holding a baby over the curtain. He was here! Brooks jumped up to get a picture, thus looking on the other side of that lovely curtain that blocks eyes from my guts. (He likes to say he now knows me inside and out...) I remember them saying that he was big and feisty. And then they put him on my chest...

Gaines Alton was here. His little eyes, unfocused and mostly crossed, were open and trying desperately to make out who I was. Without saying anything, we had a full conversation.

"Are you who I think you are?"
"I am. I am your momma."
"Love me."
"I do. More than you could ever know."

In recovery, I was still so numb. Again- it was awesome. He got his bath, peed and pooped all over the place, and nursed like a champ right away. I cried and thanked God for giving me another healthy baby.

Gaines and I were moved to a normal room. This moment was so special for me, because when I had Woody, this was when he was put in the NICU, and  didn't get to see him for a while. It was nice to be able to spend this time together.

 Later, Woody came with the Harvards to meet Gaines. I think the whole thing was scary for him, but he has since really warmed up to Gaines. (Since we got home, Woody always runs to check on him if he makes a noise. And today, when G started crying in the Pack-n-Play, Woody gave him a puzzle piece. Kisses Kisses.)

We are now settled at home. My heart is so happy and full I feel like it is going to explode. God is so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...